Saturday, May 24, 2014

May 24, 2014 - Seagulls

And I think that if I were a seagull, I might do exactly what these two are doing.  The tide goes out and the sun warms the seaweed that grows on the ledge.  Many creatures like to come and sun themselves here, including ducks, loons, cormorants, and snowy egrets.  A seagull's eyesight is very keen and he can see well below the surface of the water, even from quite a distance in the air.  These two will wait for a school of fish to come near the surface, and then they'll begin to quickly dive from the air and catch them.  They face into the wind whenever they sit so that they can take off easily into the air, taking full advantage of air currents.  They can also drink salt water.  They have a special pair of glands just above their eyes that flushes the salt from their system through small openings in their bills.

Like all creatures except man, they are perfectly adapted to their environment.  I can't help but envy them as I lumber about my business.  It's so embarrassing to be a human sometimes.