Monday, May 19, 2014

May 19, 2014 - Beauty

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or so I am told, and before today I always believed that was true.  Then I ran across this domestic Chinese swan goose today--that is, I beheld him--and I couldn't help but marvel at the uniqueness of every creature on this Earth.  He was very odd-looking and very bold, this goose was, although I am quite certain he thought he was beautiful.  And how did I know this?  By his confidence, of course.  He strutted right out to meet me to see if I had any treats for him.  When he found out that I was empty-handed, he turned his considerable nose up at me and promptly snubbed me.  He swam away regally, quite convinced he was a dapper fellow, indeed.  So snobby was he that I could not help but giggle and think perhaps beauty was not in the eye of the beholder but of the beheld.  So snobby was he that I found myself being embarrassed to be human.  Now, there is a lesson in there somewhere for me, should I decide to pursue it.