Thursday, May 1, 2014

May 1, 2014 - May Day

May Day is cold and dreary and wet today, although the sun is threatening to shine in the early evening.  It's a good thing that I have seen other May Days, so I know what this day means.  A long time ago in a warmer climate, I remember flowers on trees, green grass everywhere, and leaves full and green and lush.  Everything was bursting with fertility then.  And that will happen here, too, even though today makes it look like only a faraway dream.  I have faith in the good Earth, and she will not let me down.  Yet it is not just the fertility of the Earth and the animals that I am thinking about.  It is also the fertile grounds of the mind and especially the heart.  My mind can always pull out secret blossoms that I stash away for somber and hungry times, but my heart has been gray for too long.  Today I looked into the mist, and even though the island across from me is shrouded in fog and cold and is barely visible, somehow I smelled the blossoms from long ago.  And I knew that life was returning to me.