Monday, June 30, 2014

June 30, 2014 - Buttercups

Did you play the buttercup game when you were little?  I did.  You pick a buttercup and hold it underneath someone's chin and tell them to look up.  Then you say, "Let's see if you like butter!"  If yellow reflects from the flower and shines upon the skin, it means the person likes butter.  If it doesn't reflect, it means the person doesn't like butter.  It always reflected yellow on my chin and neck, which means that I like butter.  And lo and behold, it's true!  I do like butter!  Who knew such silly old wives tales and childhood games could be so true and accurate?

The roads and fields have been lined with billions and billions of buttercups for a couple of weeks now.  Everywhere I look in Maine, masses of shiny buttercups practically blind me.  It is such a happy and carefree time of year!  Life is always simpler when the buttercups are here.  Tastier, too.  It won't last long, but good butter never does.

Buttercups