Monday, June 16, 2014

June 16, 2014 - Bold Ents

I must say that the Ents around here are getting downright bold.  Now I told you of the other one who sometimes pelts me with acorns or pine cones, but this one -- this one! -- called me "yellow."  She said I was too much of a coward to reveal to the rest of the world just what's going on here in the deep woods of Maine.  She said no one would ever believe me.  She said fairies would capture me before I had a chance to reveal the truth.  It was then that I realized she was goading me.  You see, the fairies and the Ents are not always very friendly.  The Ents think the fairies are very rude young upstarts who never want to wait their turn in line.  The fairies think the Ents are boorish and stubborn.  Each has their own way of irking the other.  For example, the Ents will send out roots everywhere to destroy underground fairy strongholds when the fairies piss them off.  The fairies will cast spells on the Ents causing them to grow the wrong leaves, i.e., oak Ents will grow maple leaves, maple Ents will grow chestnut leaves, etc.  It's a mess, I tell you, and it's exasperating for any human who has to listen to the constant bickering.

Anyhow, I digress.  I turned to that Ent and, as serenely as possible, I asked her if she'd ever had the pleasure of sitting at a campfire at night that was perfumed with birch bark.  That shut her up right quick.  Imagine the nerve of trying to embroil me in a fight with the fairies!  I have enough problems with them as it is without unwittingly taking the side of the Ents.  So let this be a warning to the reader.  Stand firm when you are dealing with Ents, and never go out on a limb for them.