Friday, June 27, 2014

June 27, 2014 - Lobster Traps

Hundreds of lobster traps line the shore, waiting to be used.  This is one of the traditional ways to make a living here in Maine, but those traditions are dwindling.  I fear that modern times are slowly encroaching up here in the north.  Even these traps are modern.  I have an old-timer friend here who still makes them from wood the old way and weaves the netting himself.  He is an artist.  I told him I was impressed with his ability and that he should pass his knowledge and skills on to a young person.  He looked at me askance and said he wanted the young people to "do better" for themselves.

The thing is, I don't believe they could do finer for themselves than to learn the old traditional crafts.  If this keeps up, I may have to do a dimensional shift here in Maine so that two "Maines" exist simultaneously, one layered over another.  One existing in secret, the other in ignorance.  Anything is possible.

Lobster traps