Monday, June 2, 2014

June 2, 2014 - Not Your Typical Slug

The fairy chronicles continue.  I thought I might go out for an early morning creep through the woods, on the off chance that I might catch some typical fairies doing some typical fairy mischief.  It's great fun to sneak up on them, and as the reader is already aware, I have been trying to make contact with at least one so I can begin formal relations between our kind.  Instead, I found this busy little slug making quite a meal of a fresh tree ear.  I continued on my way a step or two when I heard the words, "How rude!"  I immediately turned around, expecting to see a fairy or an ent, but saw nothing.  Just as I was about to chalk it up to typical fairy mischief, I heard, "My mother would have tanned my hide when I was young had I not even greeted a passerby in these woods, which after all are so friendly, or at least used to be."

I had to do a double-take.  Yes, it was the slug talking alright, and you will credit me for not pointing out that his hide was already tan.  I made my apologies and bowed low in my greeting.  "That's better," he said.  "Perhaps tomorrow if you remember your manners I will carry your message to the fairies."  I stood in amazement, wondering how he knew.  "You're not the first to make this journey," he said, rolling his eyes.  "Now be on your way, for I have much to do and must get it done before the sun reaches this place."  Being dismissed, I went on my way and thought of a million things I ought to have said and was determined I would say them on the way back, but when I got there he was nowhere to be found.  Slippery fellow.  The quest continues, but I am getting closer every day.