Monday, August 31, 2015

August 31. 2015 - Old Glory


There’s “Old Glory” off to the left in the far background, surveying the scene.  It’s checking the coast from sea to shining sea.  Leave your hat at the door and be polite when you come in.  That’s a requirement far too many Americans have forgotten about, and it’s high time we all remember.

In the far distance, Old Glory still reigns.
 
When I was little, I would say the Pledge of Allegiance by rote because that’s what I was taught.  We all did it as children, and we enjoyed the ritual.  We loved our country without questioning.  Then I grew older and began to ask questions, as people will do when they grow.  I found there were aspects of society that I didn’t love at all.  In fact, I didn’t even like them.  I got “society” mixed up with “country,” and it caused a lot of unnecessary heartache for me.  A resentment grew and expressed itself in the subliminal way it had been planted in its pawn.  I no longer said the Pledge of Allegiance.

But then I grew even older, and the game became clearer.  The simple things came back to me--unexpectedly but greatly appreciated.  Their timeless beauty humbled me and taught me and bent my knee.  A new knowledge grew along with a love for the land.  I express my love here in Maine.  It may be in a different part of the country for others.  One thing’s certain, though:  Old Glory still flies free and beautiful, and I still say my Pledge of Allegiance.  And for all of its problems, difficulties, differences, arguments, standoffs, mistakes, hardheadedness, etc., it’s still the greatest place in the world.  So, hats off and show a little respect!

From sea to shining sea.