Monday, August 17, 2015

August 17, 2015 - The Doorway


Right down at the end of the dock is a doorway I have to pass through to go down the ramp and on to the float.  From there it’s a boat, or just jump off on a hot day.  But to get there, I have to go through the doorway.  This doorway has no door, no doorknob, and no hinges.  There’s no door jam, no sound barrier, and no privacy.  But it’s still a doorway.  Sometimes it’s open and sometimes it’s closed, and either way it looks the same.

The doorway at the end of the dock.

Have you ever had a doorway like that?  Did you ever come across a door you felt certain you could enter, only to find out that it was somehow locked?  Like a social doorway where you believe you can enter a certain part of society, only to be turned away without a word being said.  It’s all “understood” that you just don’t belong, and it doesn’t matter if your feelings are hurt.  Or like an educational doorway that slams shut if you’re not from the “right” institution.  Or like a career development doorway that is only open to those who sell out.  Ever found one of those doors?

Then there are the doors you are certain are locked tightly, and so you never bother trying to go through them.  Your prior tears, past embarrassments, mountains of humiliation, former failures, etc., all whisper in your ear that you can’t get through that doorway.  No, not that one.  Are you crazy?  Don’t even try it.  Because . . . if you do, those voices are afraid you’ll find out that you actually can get through it with proper preparation because it’s wide open.

The doorway at the end of the dock passes me from the world of Earth to the world of Water.  It has very little to do with whether or not I want to go swimming or boating and everything to do with where my thoughts and soul are focused--firmly on the Earth or floating along in the ethereal current of Water.  I spend my days in different realms depending on what is needed for my continued evolution.  Too much of one or the other would make me unbalanced.  Sometimes I must keep my feet firmly rooted on the Earth and take care of worldly things, commitments, bills, work, etc.  Other times, I must sail away and discover what secrets lay underneath the outer mask of mankind.

And I often find that I don’t need the doorway at all anymore, but it’s good to know that it’s there as a reminder.