Tuesday, August 18, 2015

August 18, 2015 - Enough of Summer


Another sweltering day along the shore, and we are all looking longingly toward the fall.  The plants are parched, the air is heavy, and even the boats look tired.  My mother always said, “Too much of a good thing is no good.”  She was right, but I won’t let her know it or I’ll never hear the end of it.  Everyone who knows me knows that I love the winter, but even the summer folk have had enough.

Summer has overstayed its welcome.

Can there be too much sun?  Too much warmth?  I think so.  Too much life.  We need some ending now.  But we all longed for it.  “I’ll never complain again,” I heard over and over in January.  “I’m so done with this winter, and I just can’t wait for the summer.”  Now, the words are all opposite.  “I’m dying of heat.  I’m melting.  I want snow!”  It’s different, but it’s the same.

I guess it’s a good thing that we can’t always get what we want, or even when we do get it, we don’t get it for long.  I know there are people who live in climates where the temperature is pretty steady all year long.  They seem happy enough, but there’s something about the magnificent highs and the dreadful lows of extreme climates that keeps me addicted.  If I ever got what I wanted and held on to it for too long, I’d know I wasn’t in Maine.  Change keeps me going.

So change already.