Thursday, August 27, 2015

August 27, 2015 - The Hidden Truth of the Sun


When I was little, I used to think that if I could just run fast enough, I could catch up with the sun, and then I could live in eternal daytime and never have to experience another night.  Oh, I practiced and practiced, determined to get faster and faster.  It worked.  I did get faster, a lot faster.  First I outran all of my friends.  Then I became the fastest runner in my school.  Soon after, I was going to track meets and competing against dozens of different schools.  But I never did get fast enough to keep up with the sun.

In pursuit of the sun.

Now I wonder why I ever would have wanted to do such a thing.  Perhaps it was a desire for travel, a wanderlust, and watching the sun as it sailed off into the west made my spirit cry out for exploration.  But there was something I didn’t understand back then, a vital hidden piece of the true glory of the sun.  I couldn’t understand it because I was so blinded by the brilliance and the strength and the speed of the fiery ball.  What could be more wonderful than that?  As I got a little older, I realized that the sun reaches its most alluring and beautiful point only against the backdrop of the night.

Without the night, the sun loses a lot of its mesmerizing attraction.  Without the encroaching deep blue and later black, the sun has no canvas to paint its beautiful colors.  It’s the night that defines the sun, giving us a comparison, enticing us with an opposite, teaching us the balance.  It’s the night that showcases the magnificence of the sun.  It’s the night that allows us to look toward the sun, which would otherwise be too painful and blinding.  It’s the night that adds the cool and soothing bandage to the unbearable heat left by the sun.

And at the end of the night as we approach morning, it’s the night that greets the sun first before the rest of us even get a chance.  It’s the night that hails the return of the glory of the sun.  It’s the night that lays out the blue carpet and asks for the next dance.