Tuesday, June 30, 2015

June 30, 2015 - My Secret Reishi Stash


‘Tis the season, once again, to find ripe Reishi/Lingzhi mushrooms.  I was lucky to come across this huge stash, and I’m going to put them to good use.  This medicinal mushroom is very expensive in the health stores.  Thank goodness it’s still free in the wild!

Reishi/Lingzhi (Ganoderma lucidum) is native to China, Japan, and North America.  It has been used for thousands of years and is revered in Traditional Chinese Medicine for promoting longevity.  It influences the lymphatic, interferon alpha, and interferon beta cells of the immune system, helping them to respond better or to back off if they’re hyperactive.

Reishi/Lingzhi mushrooms (Ganoderma lucidum).

In addition to aiding chemotherapy patients, Reishi/Lingzhi helps those with rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disorder where the immune system mistakenly attacks the body’s own tissues and causes chronic inflammation, bone erosion, and joint deformity.  Many dangerous medications are used to try to suppress the immune system in an effort to help those suffering with rheumatoid arthritis.  Reishi/Lingzhi neither stimulates nor suppresses the immune system but instead modulates it.  Significant effects have been documented.

I’m going to make a tincture out of these mushrooms for what some herbalists refer to as “immortality in a jar.”  I doubt I’ll live forever, but I think my immune system and joints will be pleased.  I do think it’s so important to gather our medicines where we may.  For information on how to make a tincture, see my article, St. John's Wort, which gives instructions.

(Yes, I have to put a disclaimer in.  This article is for informational purposes only and is not meant to diagnose, treat, or cure any ailment.  If you need medical advice, seek a physician.  If you'd like more information on Reishi/Lingzhi and rheumatoid arthritis, see this study here.)