Saturday, April 25, 2015

April 25, 2015 - My Island


I put my camera lens on zoom, almost as far as it could go so I could get a picture of this boat.  It was pretty far out.  When I got home and looked at my photos for the day, I decided there was nothing special about it at all.  However, I was astonished to see the little island behind it!  I hadn’t seen that from the shore, and if I did, I guess I didn’t pay much attention to it.  Most likely, if I saw it at all, it just seemed like a tiny little spot on the water.

But there it is--a tiny island fortress, a wild place with no human inhabitants and only a few trees to speak of.  And that means it’s perfect.  I can see my flag going up now in my own little country.  A nation within a nation.  The Isle of Melanie.  It has a ring to it.  I can draw up my own charter, make my own laws, have my own currency, set up my own courts.  No, no, I’m going about this all wrong.  I don’t want to bring my “civilization” with me, I want to transcend it!  Perhaps I’ll dress in wild animal skins a do a lot of rain dances for fresh water . . .

Of course, the faerie inhabitants of this little island might have something to say about that.  They might rightly point out that they’ve been dwelling there for a few thousand years, but what’s a few thousand years among friends?  Surely they can make room for one more inhabitant.  I’m heading out to the island.  If you don’t hear from me again, assume that I’ve gone native.

The Isle of Melanie.