Thursday, April 16, 2015

April 16, 2015 - The Current Sea


The ocean has a way of stripping from you all the trappings of life.  All the distractions, all the glitter, and all the diversions melt away at the sight of the ocean.  All the complications, interruptions, and commotions disappear when facing the ocean.  All the interference, entertainment, and preoccupations fade quickly away with the onset of the waves.  Nothing can lie to the ocean.  Nothing can get in its way.  Everything is stripped down to the bone by the ocean and then washed clean.

That’s why I head to the ocean whenever I’m confused.  Whenever I need to think or figure a problem out, I go to the ocean.  When my thoughts are foggy and my understanding falters, I go straight away to the waves because I know they’ll get to the bottom of things for me.  I know that nothing can stand against the ocean.

So that’s where I went today, weighed down heavily with my manmade problems.  Attached to my foot was a thick and heavy rusted chain, and attached to the chain was a heavy, rusty iron ball.  I walked slowly because my burden was so heavy.  Each step I took was painful as I dragged the huge iron ball behind me.  It scraped on the ground as I walked, digging a trench.  I wondered that if I were to walk back and forth dragging the large iron ball behind me--back and forth, back and forth--would I be able to dig my own grave?

The current sea.

Down to the ocean I went, close to the waves, dragging the iron ball behind me.  I stood there and looked out at the waves as they crashed in.  It was high tide, and piles and piles of shells were strewn about the beach.  I just stared and waited for the voice.

“Who are you?” the ocean asked.
I said my name, not even sure if that was my name anymore, really, so confused I was with the world and my situation.
“Who are you?” it asked again.
“I am,” was all I said.
“And why have you come?”
“I don’t know anymore,” I said.  “I’m sad and uncertain and tired.  I can’t keep doing this.”

The waves crashed in.  When they reached the iron ball, I felt a slight coolness slip over my feverish thoughts.  I felt a slight relief as the water washed over the iron ball, a slight clearing of my heart.

“And why have you come?” the ocean asked again.
Then I remembered why I had come, but I felt a bit foolish standing there in front of the greatest power in the world, attempting to explain my feeble little manmade problems.  I thought of how stupid I must look.

“And why have you come?” came the question yet again.
So I told the ocean my problem.  It was a stupid problem, a manmade problem about money, or the lack thereof, actually.  I told the ocean about my fears, about my anxiety, about this foolish money problem.  And even as I said it, I felt like a great fool.

The waves crashed in again and washed over the iron ball.  The water was so very cold--numbing, actually.  It could easily cause hypothermia within seconds, but my mind and heart were so feverish that I welcomed it.  The hot and tortured skin around my ankle from the old rusty chain felt blissful and relieved with each wave.

Then the ocean spoke:

“There are cosmic laws governing the tidal movement of gold, and this is understood by very few.  Gold is a symbol mankind uses for human energy, and it can only be acquired by an expenditure of that energy.  Therefore, life force can be transmuted into gold, and that gold can be stored up and used later.  It represents the output of human energy or work.

“Paper notes, or money as they are called, used to represent gold, i.e., one dollar’s worth of gold, five dollars’ worth of gold, twenty dollars’ worth of gold, etc.  These paper notes could be traded in at any time for the full amount of gold they represented, the full amount of human energy.  And as long as this was true, people could be assured of trading their life force for the things and sustenance they needed.

“Then a trick was played, a dirty trick, indeed.  At some point, the notes no longer represented the gold, and there was no gold to back them up.  Therefore, the notes no longer represented human energy expenditure but became their own entity.  Then the connection between life force and gold to money was severed, and thus began the bizarre idea of collecting the paper notes for their own sake and not as part of the underground tidal movement of gold.  Soon people found themselves desiring the map instead of the territory it represented.

“The paper notes no longer represent human energy and life force.  There are those who sit in lofty offices and make millions and millions of paper notes, and yet they expend only a fraction of the energy that, say, a bricklayer might expend, who earns far fewer paper notes.  In the money system, some people’s life force is not worth as much as others.  Of course, that is a lie.  It has all become an illusion, and mankind keeps racing around and around the illusion.

“But there are things that are not illusions, and you know what these things are.  Life force manifests not only as energy on the physical plane but as intelligence and knowledge on the mental plane.  True wealth lies in the land, not in bank notes, and in the ability to use that land in manifestation of the life force.  True wealth lies in the animals and plant life around you, in the ability to coax forth the gifts of the earth.”

I wasn’t sure I understood everything I had heard, but my heart felt lighter and my mind felt more at ease.  My problems were not magically cured and did not disappear, but they no longer had power over me.  They were simply part of a manmade game gone terribly wrong long ago.

I looked down at my foot, never realizing before how easy it was to simply remove it from the chains.  I slipped out quickly and cleanly.  The ocean washed the cuts clean, and I left the iron ball on the beach.  Then I went home and made tea and biscuits.  The stored energy from the flour in the biscuits and the sugar in the tea reached my body and warmed me thoroughly.  The energy from the sun--the life force--had been stored in the grain and the sugar, and then I consumed it and made it a part of me.

The tides of energy are all around us.  They come in and they go out.  They bring in and they take away.  There are cosmic laws governing these tides, which are predictable and reliable.  It is these tides, these waves, we must learn to ride.