Monday, April 20, 2015

April 20, 2015 - Skyline


I had climbed about 500 feet up when I took this photo.  The pines look like they’re floating in a misty sea or a smoky bog.  That’s really just all the bare branches and twigs of the deciduous trees around them, which are still bare and haven’t even begun to bud yet.  But as far as I could see, there was nothing but trees, trees, and more trees.

It’s peaceful looking down into the woods.  Sometimes I look at pictures of severely developed urban areas, and I think to myself that it couldn’t be true.  It must be a camera trick.  Surely there can’t be that many buildings and that many people, can there?  Of course, I have seen it with my own eyes, but I just don’t trust that vision anymore.  It’s like a fuzzy dream from time out of mind.  I trust the vision of the trees, instead.

The Maine skyline.

A long time ago, I was in a very large city.  Everyone kept telling me that I had to see the “skyline” of the city, that it was truly a sight to behold, that it was breathtaking and magnificent.  During the day it would be impressive and awe-inspiring, and during the night the millions of lights from all the skyscrapers would twinkle romantically for a spectacular vision.  I couldn’t wait to see it all--I just couldn’t wait!  And then I saw it.  Everyone around me “oohed and ahhed.”  Everyone was struck with the vision of the gleaming city.  Everyone but me, that is.  I just smiled and never said a word to anyone, but inside my heart crumbled and my eyes hurt.  I hated it, and I was embarrassed that someone would find out what a hick I was.

I often wonder if we see what we want to see, or at least what we think we should see.  Because we think of it, we see it.  Because we believe it, we can’t come up with any other vision.  If that’s true, then we should hold on to the visions that bring us peace and joy and let go of the expectations of lack planted in our minds by the media.  We should also cling to what is beautiful to us, and for each person that will be a different thing.  For me, it’s the trees.  There can be no finer skyline.