Friday, July 18, 2014

July 18, 2014 - Silver Lining

I had heard the story about the cloud with the silver lining, and I was skeptical.  I had seen thousands upon thousands of clouds in my life, and never once did I come across any silver.  But it was a difficult time, you see.  The situation was bleak and I was downtrodden--at the end, one might say.  And I thought about the cloud.  What if I could find that cloud with the silver lining?  Wouldn't it take care of all my pressing problems?  Wouldn't it bring me ease and prosperity and peace?  I decided it would, so I set out to find the cloud.  I never figured I would because I assumed it was just a myth, but if nothing else, I'd be able to put that myth to rest.

Very, very early in the morning, I crept out of my house, shrouded in a gray cloak.  It was a cool morning and a thin mist was all around me.  I took the secret path through the woods, the one that no one else knows about.  The moss was heavy under my feet as I walked, springing upward with a luxurious softness.  It felt good, as it always does when I take the secret path.  I could hear the morning birds around me, the tiny finches, the larger bluejays, the cardinals, and best of all my favorite bird, the hermit thrush.  The thrushes followed me as I walked the path, singing their haunting melody.  All around me was the heady, deep scent of pine.  The air was so fresh that I filled my lungs as much as I could, exhaling with a long sigh and starting all over again.  I saw tiny squirrels, rabbits, and deer.  None of them seemed to mind me as they all looked for their breakfast.

At last I made it to the pond.  The water was as still as a mirror, and the sky was reflected in it perfectly.  I could see ducks and geese on the far shore.  They, too, were looking for breakfast and did not seem to mind me at all.  I saw a red fox watching them closely, eager for his breakfast as well.  Occasionally, a fish would jump and then the ripples would spread all across the pond in a perfect geometric order.

Silver lining cloud?

But where was the mythical cloud, I wondered?  As if on command, the songbirds announced the arrival of the sun.  I looked up and knew that he'd have his way again with this day, threatening to shine brilliantly, he was.  But alas, everywhere I looked I saw no silver.  Since no one ever comes to the pond, I yelled out loud to the sun, "Where is the silver??"  He laughed back at me and said, "You might have left it in the woods!"

It was as I suspected.  There was no silver to be found anywhere.  I retraced my steps home:  the fish, the fox, the ducks and geese, the deer, the rabbits, the squirrels, the birds, the hermit thrush, the pine trees, and the moss.  I looked for them all and waved, delighted that I was part of their world.  When I got home, imagine my surprise when I found the ease and prosperity and peace I'd been looking for all along.  It was right in my chair by the fireplace.  Perhaps the sun was right after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment