Thursday, July 10, 2014

July 10, 2014 - Stone Stairs

Small, hand-hewn stone stairs lead upward from a remote part of the beach on Bailey Island.  They stop suddenly at the top of a very gentle incline.  As you can see, they're not very big.  In fact, they're rather smaller than most people would feel comfortable climbing.  Compare them to the size of the beach roses, which are not large flowers, and you can get an idea of their size.  Directly behind me as I take this picture is a very small beach that is part sand and part rock, and beyond that is the ocean looking out into the Casco Bay.  Who made these stairs?  They don't lead anywhere.  There are plenty of ways to get up the slight incline you see that are easier than these stairs, and yet here they are.

There's a legend of a fairy castle that was here once several hundred years ago.  Am I to presume that this is all that is left of it?  Or, as I suspect, are these stairs still in use?  Because that's what I think.  I don't think the castle ever left.  I think it's still right there.  I think a dimensional shift occurred, but as with all dimensional shifts, a gateway has to be left if one intends to move from one world to the other.  And so I think these stairs are still very much in use.  They walk among us, you know.  Perhaps if you climbed the stairs when the sun was at a particular angle, you might just get through that gateway and into the castle.  But be careful what you ask for as it may be given to you.