Saturday, December 27, 2014

December 27, 2014 - Two Loons


Two loons were out near the rocky shore singing their haunting songs.  They are so very strange, so very eerie.  When I hear a loon, I have to find it and follow it if I can.  I have to.  How different, then, are they from the legendary Sirens?  It is a maddening, romantic, eerie, frightening, exciting, and otherworldly song they sing.  I cannot get enough of it.

I heard these two loons long before I saw them, and this is as far as the zoom lens would go on my little camera.  (Someday I will have a better camera.)  They were singing in that eerie lilt again.  Sometimes I have to stop myself from just walking out into the ocean . . . and walking and walking.  They call to people, swimming back and forth and teasing us.  They know the power they have over us.

When you hear the sound of a loon, you put everything down.  Everything stops, and you wait . . . wait . . . wait . . . for that next sound to come.  The Sirens sang their songs and drove men insane, causing them to shipwreck themselves on the rocky shores of distant waters.  Did they sing like loons?  Were they as enchanting, seductive, and yet frightening?  Because if they were, it is no wonder the helmsmen conned the ships straight for the jagged cliffs.  I could do no different myself.

Two loons teasing the human on the shore.