Monday, December 22, 2014

December 22, 2014 - Enter Winter


Walking out in the woods a lot as I do, I see some pretty strange things.  This winter, although it is just beginning, is showing signs of being quite odd.  Weather patterns are strange:  Lots of snow, then rain and ice, then snow, and then melting.  It is almost as if it just can’t make up its mind.  I have seen strange weather patterns before, so I am not worried and will not buy into the odd things I hear people say about our planet.

The fact is that we are ever-changing, so why shouldn’t the Earth be as well?  Here in the season of death and grayness, there is a “pregnant” atmosphere.  It is a feeling of waiting, of anticipation, of a kind of willing being whispered on the wind.  Although this photo is not “black and white,” it appears to be so because almost all color has been wiped from the landscape.  The slate has been washed clean as we wait and wait and wait . . .

What a surprise to come home, then, and see that somehow, while I was looking elsewhere, the sky had opened up in this photo.  Can you see it at the top slightly toward the left?  How could I have missed that?  I was right there and I didn’t see it with my own eyes.  It’s almost as though a portal has opened, and a blinding brilliance is spilling down onto the Earth, spilling and spilling.  It is a signal, I think, a signal that we made it through the darkest day, and now it is time to climb slowly toward the light.

It is also a signal for true winter to begin, for though we may be climbing toward the light, the cold and the darkness have not finished with us yet.

Climbing toward the light.