Tuesday, December 23, 2014

December 23, 2014 - The Unknown Farmer


I found this old water pump out in a field.  A long time ago it was used to water animals out on pasture, but it hasn’t been used in a very long time and it’s all boarded up.  I must have passed this a thousand times and never really gave it much thought, but today I decided to hike out to it for a closer look.  Well, it looked pretty much like old field pumps always look:  Rusty and old.  I started taking pictures from a couple of different angles for my files.  (As you know, I am the keeper of the woods and streams, and it is my job to chronicle the daily events here in the forests of Maine.)

I stopped short after a few photos, though, because I noticed something I never would have seen from the road.  Can you see it off to the right there in the back?  That’s an old gravestone--absolutely and unmistakably.  I’ve seen plenty of them here in Maine, as this is an older part of the U.S, and in this state, it is still legal to be buried on your own property if you so choose.  Of course, back when this grave was first dug, there weren’t laws on where you could or could not be buried or how it ought to be done anyhow.

An old field water pump keeps its secrets.

Who is it?  I have no idea.  I walked around the gravestone several times, looking for clues.  It’s broken and crumbly at the top, and it has shifted and tilted a lot over the years as the Earth has moved.  All engravings were washed away by time long ago.  The odd thing is that it’s just one grave.  It’s not unusual here in Maine, especially on older farms, to find gravestones, but usually you find at least two together.  Then you know you are looking at a husband and wife burial, two people who wanted to remain together forever on the land they loved.  Oftentimes, you’ll find a group of graves together, a sort of family graveyard.  Many of these tiny old family graveyards are still taken care of by the families.

But this grave is all by itself by a very old pump out in a field where nobody keeps animals anymore.  The pump is not in use and hasn’t been for decades.  So who was this?  Why is he (I don’t know why I think “he” but I do) buried here?  Which came first--the pump or the grave?  I’m thinking the pump because why would someone want to place a water pump right near a grave?  On the other hand, that grave is very old.

My mind gets full of ideas, and this is what I picture.  I picture a farmer who loved his land and loved his animals.  I picture a man who worked the fields hard and made his living farming and raising animals.  If you’ve never done it, I can tell you it’s very hard work because I have done it.  So I picture a hardworking, dedicated person who loved what he did.  And when he died, he asked to buried right there in his field.  Alone.  He couldn’t have known that the land and area would change quite a bit from what he knew, but that’s to be expected.  The only thing that haunts me is wondering why he is all alone, but that is a mystery that can’t be solved.

He’s asleep now and all that’s left of who he was is an old rusty pump and a worn smooth gravestone, tilted and half-buried in the soil.  It seems sad at first glance, but maybe it’s not so sad after all.  He lived his life, and if he was a farmer as I suspect, it was an honest and decent life, although not wealthy.  Now he rests in the land he loved, finally at ease.  It’s what I will most likely do myself someday, so I won’t look on this with sadness but with congratulations for a job well done and a life well lived.