Thursday, September 25, 2014

September 25, 2014 - Moss and Lichen


Just a quick entry today to tell you how much I love walking in the woods.  I found this clearing so you could see some of the wonderful forest floor.  It’s covered with mountains of pine needles and all different kinds of cold-loving mosses.  The lighter colored moss in the center and left of the photo is called “reindeer moss” because of its antler-shaped features, but it is actually a kind of lichen.  These mosses, lichens, and pine needles provide the softest and most cushioned walking experience you could ever imagine.  My feet are always springing back up at me with every step I take.  It is very comfortable and enjoyable.  When I leave the woods and step out onto a road, even a dirt road, it seems so hard and angular to me.  I immediately want to jump back into the woods!

In this particular photo the moss is rather thin, and I think that’s because it’s in a clearing that gets more sunshine.  Mosses love the cold, damp, and shady areas.  So you can pretty much guess that they are perfect for Maine!  And I just love their earthy scent.  When I come back to my home, even though it’s clean, my nose wrinkles up because it smells ‘stale” compared to the mosses and pine needles of the woods.  It’s no wonder I spend most of my time outdoors.

Moss, lichen, and pine needles make for a soft forest floor.