Tuesday, September 16, 2014

September 16, 2014 - Cry Me A River


Did I tell you about the time Old Jack took me to see the secret stream?  I was younger then and didn’t understand the threads that are woven between us all and our surroundings.  In those days, I based my world only on my senses and on what they could pick up from my external environment.  I hadn’t learned yet about invisible connections.  I didn’t know then about the other vision.

One day we took the secret path together through the forest.  Instead of following it to the end like I usually do when going to the pond, we veered off to the right about halfway through and kept on a less tidy path.  I didn’t remember ever seeing this path before, but when you're with Old Jack, you get used to that.  In any event, here’s what happened:

Old Jack and I went out and we chanced upon a brilliantly clear and fast-moving brook.  The water was lush, beautiful, and crystal clear.  My eyes were filled with its beauty and I longed to drink from its depths.  That’s when Old Jack pointed upstream a bit to a girl sitting on a large rock near the brook.  She was dressed all in gray and was crying and crying and wailing, her tears falling endlessly into the brook.  I couldn’t bear the sound!  The sorrow was too much for me, and I thought I must do something to help her.  I could hear Old Jack hiss “NO!” at me as I ran off to help her, and I thought it was rather mean of him.  I figured I’d talk to him about it later.  So off I went and I comforted that poor girl.  She looked terribly confused but finally stopped crying.  Then she ran off without saying a word, and I was left scratching my head.  Old Jack was nowhere to be found.

The dried-up brook.

The next day I went back, lucky enough to have found the path again.  I couldn’t find Old Jack anywhere, but there was another young girl all dressed in gray, crying and wailing terribly.  Her tears ran in huge drops from her eyes, down into the brook below.  I decided to comfort her as well, and the same thing happened as the day before.  She was confused, finally stopped crying, and ran off without saying a word.  I was so perplexed, but it didn’t end there.  For six more days, the same thing happened until the eighth girl ran away.  I was still no closer to an answer.

I looked around slowly, scratching my head.  I noticed, as if seeing it for the first time, that the brook had run completely dry.  How odd!  Only last week it was so full of luscious water!  Much of the plant life was browned and dying.  A squirrel came up and peered into the dry bed, followed by a deer.  Each walked slowly away, dejected.  It was then that I noticed most of the birdsong was gone.  In fact, it was suddenly very quiet and lifeless.

“It’s the water,” Old Jack said behind me.  “It’s gone and they need it.”
“What happened to it?” I asked, but he just smiled and slipped off through the brush, gone within a few seconds as usual.

I went home slowly, not understanding at all.  When I got home, I received some bad news about the death of a friend.  It wasn’t unexpected because I knew she was dying, but I had hoped for more time with her.  Now she was gone, and I couldn’t even tell her about the dried-up brook and the crying girls.  She would have been so interested, and I just know she would have had an answer for me.  That night I went to bed in more sorrow than I have ever felt.

But then came the morning, and I knew what to do.  I got up very early and slipped down the secret path to the dried-up brook.  I sat down on the large rock and I thought about my friend.  And I cried.  I cried and cried.  The tears just kept coming and I couldn’t stop them, so great was my misery and pain.  When I looked down, lo and behold!  I was wearing a dull gray dress.  Then it hit me.  Now I was one of the girls in gray who cried at the large rock by the brook.  And now at last I understood.  Those girls were crying because they needed to cry.  They had to cry for whatever reason was bothering them, and I unwittingly had stopped them.  By stopping their tears, which had filled the brook, I was stopping their ability to get their sorrow out and so life could not go on.

So I cried and I cried and I cried until the brook was full again.  Then I got up and left.  Old Jack was waiting for me with a little smile.  He patted me on the back and called me a dummy, as he usually does.  I asked him about the other girls, if they would be okay, and he said not to worry and that they’d be back. 

And I guess they did come back because even though I never went back to the brook, I can hear it bubbling and rushing away in the distance from the path anytime I go down it on my way to the pond.  I find it very comforting.