Thursday, September 18, 2014

September 18, 2014 - An Unexpected Path


I climbed quite a treacherous slope to get to this spot, accessible only by foot--and that just barely.  Something up here was calling to me, and so I answered.  When I got to the top, there were a few wild asters and rugosas growing along the rockface.  How they can grow in this salt air is beyond me, but grow they do along with some other tough shrubbery.


A tiny path on the side of an ocean cliff.

What really caught my eye, though, and I hope you can see it in the picture, is a tiny path of crushed stone.  Look at the center bottom of the photo and you’ll see it there, leading outward and down the cliff.  I didn’t dare go any further because I was afraid of falling.  Or being pushed.  This is not a path for humans.  No one comes here but me, and anyhow it’s a really tiny path.  But it is a path.  And it was laid down by someone.  Or something.  This is typical of the wilder places of Maine.  Just when you think you’ve gotten to a completely untouched area, you find that it is touched, indeed, just not in the way you might have thought.

They’re at it again.  I’ll have to keep an eye on this area as well.  You never do know with fairies.  Those who dwell in beach areas can be especially treacherous because they associate with the Undines.  Tread carefully among those from the Kingdom of Water, my friends.  They are not to be taken lightly.