Monday, April 21, 2014

April 21, 2014 - Thresholds

An entryway built by the fairies, a threshold.  It divides one "room" from another.  When two people marry, it is customary for the groom to carry the bride over the threshold.  Together they go from one life to another.  Once they cross over, everything changes.  Just a few inches and everything is different.  But how can that be?  Surely I can see through this doorway.  I don't see anything different on one side than I do on the other.  And yet . . . why would it be here if there were no difference between the two "sides"?  Exactly.  But that's how fairy magic works.  Think of all the stone dolmens dotting Europe, some more than 7,000 years old.  The explanation we're given is that they're burial chambers that have eroded away, leaving a stone skeleton that looks very much like a threshold.  Too bad the archeologists haven't studied the fairies.  If they had, they'd know that these thresholds are portals.  Just a few inches and everything is different.  Even so, I'll bet none of them step across that threshold.  I'm working on getting the courage up myself.