Saturday, August 2, 2014

August 2, 2014 - Jungle Creatures


It’s a primitive world I live in.  If it weren’t for reporting in here every day on my activities, I’d probably just go native, having lost all sense of civilization.  As it stands, I still may do that very thing someday because, if you hadn’t noticed, I don’t quite fit into the contrived world that humans have built.  The faithful reader of this journal knows that I don’t see many human beings, and as time goes on I seem to see fewer and fewer.  At first I thought it was just a coincidence that no one seems to come to these parts of the woods.  Now I’m not so certain, and there are a number of reasons why.

First, the woods are completely booby trapped.  The fairies set up trip wires everywhere.  The further you go into the deep woods, the more traps you will find because that is the realm of the Unseelie Court.  You will recall my entry on Fairy Traps and what happened to me there.  If you stay to the perimeter of the woods, you will find more creatures of the Seelie Court who are at least friends with the sun, but you must still deal with their odd temperaments and, at times, twisted sense of morality.  They don’t see things the way we do.

Second, I ate the red fly agaric fairy mushroom that was disguised as a painted bolete.  If you’re thinking I should have known better, you’re right.  From there I was led down to the pond and experienced my First Contact, about which I have written.  But ever since then, the strange things I’ve been seeing have multiplied.  I think since it was a mushroom of the fairy realm, it gave me a bit of “the sight,” and as I said in a previous journal entry, I’m not sure if that was purposely done or if it was accidental on their part.  In any event, I can sense them even more and yet humans seem to notice me even less.

Ent tipping.

Third, this picture you see is pretty typical of what they do.  Here they have begun picking trees up and throwing them down, sort of like cow tipping, but in this case they’re Ent tipping.  Of course, this infuriates the Ents, and I don’t blame them one bit for being outraged.  Do you?  After all, how are they going to get up?  But you’ll recall in my article on Bold Ents that the fairies and Ents do not get along at all.  I try to stay out of it because I have enough problems as it is, but I have to say in this case, I side with the Ents.  I’d appreciate it, though, if you not tell anyone I said that because it’ll just start the next war.  That, and I don’t like getting pelted with acorns when I’m out on my daily walk.  You’d think siding with the Ents would make them kinder, but magical creatures don’t work that way.  The fact that they are mentioned at all will piss them off to no end because they love hiding behind the “myth” curtain, and they rely on humans not believing in their existence.

And these are just a few of the problems.  Add the dragons to it (as I described in my article on Here Be Dragons), and it’s no wonder that people keep away from here.  No one wants to get eaten for not being able to guess a dragon riddle.  And plus, they always cheat, don’t you think?  In any event, anyone who has been reading this journal knows that the aforementioned is just the tip of the iceberg.  Then, too, there are dimensional shifts . . . which have occurred on this Earth and will occur again, but that is for another story.  For now, I must go and tend my domestic animals and pray that the fairies have not soured the milk again.