Monday, August 4, 2014

August 4, 2014 - Adrift


I am adrift on an ocean that goes on forever.  The large boats and the yachts and the ocean liners have all passed me by.  Most of them did not even see me, and those who did went swiftly on their way because I was too plain for them.  I am inconsequential, a ripple in a pond.  I am exposed to the elements.  I have no cabins below deck and no engine to speed me on my way or bring me to a safe cove.  There is nothing between me and every force of nature that exists.

But I am still here.  I may not have billowing sails, but I have a sturdy anchor that holds me in place.  And that “place” is occupied by me and no one else.  When the thunder rolls and the lightning strikes, I am fearful but unflinching.  I meet it head on.  The wind could snap me in two and the ocean could capsize me, but they have not done so yet.  I meet the waves as they come and I ride them out.  I bail out the torrential rains, and then I lazily dry out in the sun.

I am small but I am me.  And I am here.

Rowboat adrift.