Friday, August 15, 2014

August 15, 2014 - Fairy Clubs



Beautiful, isn’t it?  Looks like brightly colored coral you might find in some warm part of the Pacific Ocean, but certainly not in the woods of Maine.  Yet this is a Maine mushroom.  It’s called “Golden Spindles” or “Fairy Club” (Clavulinopsis fusiformis), and yes, it is edible although often bitter.  I just love when they start appearing in the forest.  Their bright yellow patches always catch my eye.  Even in the shade, as this photo was taken, you can see just how brilliant they are.

I didn’t make up the term “Fairy Club” for this mushroom, although I wish I had.  It sounds like something I would do.  This leads me to wonder if there are others watching the fairies, and if so, why would they call this mushroom a “club”?  Perhaps I should take some of these and dry them for future use when searching for fairies.  It never hurts to have a little extra ammo, and maybe I could use them in trade.

Fairy Club mushroom (Clavulinopsis fusiformis).

You see, I haven’t forgotten about the First Contact, and the plan that I’ve been toying with is to leave a few gifts at a favorite fairy place and see if there is any response by the next day.  I know the perfect offering stone, and I know they go there often because of the strange things I see there:  scorched ground, bits of bright silk ribbon, evidence of spilled fairy wine, fairy mushroom rings, etc.  So what I’m thinking is maybe some milk or wine, a little bit of food, and some of these fairy club mushrooms.  Giving away “clubs” might not sound like such a good idea, but it’s as good an idea as any.  Besides, they could gather plenty themselves in the forest if they were so inclined.  It’s not like I’ve cornered the market on them, and giving a gift might work in my favor.  Then, too, it could backfire and they might try to enslave me to be their mushroom gatherer for all eternity.

In any event, I’m tired of waiting, and the stone where I’m thinking of leaving the goodies is not far from my house, which I think is a good idea.  I think I should be closer to home in the beginning in case things get out of hand.  I don’t want to go through another pond episode.