Friday, August 29, 2014

August 29, 2014 - Sun Friend


When I was a little girl, I remember walking with my mother and noticing that the sun was following us.  We were walking along a straight road, and it seemed to keep pace with us exactly and stay in the same spot, just over my shoulder to the right.  I remarked on this and she laughed, explaining that the sun was very far away and that our small amount of walking wasn’t going to change its position from one minute to the next.  But I kept looking at the sun, and it certainly seemed to me that it was bobbing along just over my shoulder to the right.  She told me that was just an illusion.  I said nothing and thought about it for a long time, and I decided she was wrong.

Today as I was taking a morning walk along a straight trek, I noticed the sun just over my shoulder to the right.  It bobbed along and kept pace with me.  When I stopped, it stopped.  When I walked again, it bobbed along again.  It was nice to know that it was just over my shoulder to the right, just where it belonged, as usual.  Apparently, it has been following me for decades now, and we have become old friends.  Thank goodness my mother was wrong about it.

The sun keeping pace with me.