Saturday, September 5, 2015

September 5, 2015 - One Day Left


If I had one day left to live, I’d spend it on the rocky shores of Maine.  I’d bring the people I love with me, and we’d have a picnic by the waves.  I’d climb along the cliffs and go into the freezing water of the Atlantic.  I’d collect pretty shells and squish my feet into strange-feeling seaweed.  I’d inhale the salt air as deeply as possible to take in all the crisp Maine freshness.  I’d listen to music and match its cadence with the waves.

The best day.

Besides telling people I love them, I’d spend a good portion of my time watching the gulls soar in the air.  I’d listen to their cries high in the sky as they circle and then dive.  I’d watch them sunning themselves in the rocky areas no human can get to.  I’d watch them take off and catch a current and glide.  Mostly, I’d just watch their freedom to never have to wonder about the last day.

No one knows when their time will come, and I hope I have thousands upon thousands of days left.  But if that day should come tomorrow, let it be spent doing what I love to do in places where I have always done it.  Then I could be like the gulls.