Wednesday, September 16, 2015

September 16, 2015 - In The Shade


Under the shade of the trees, I can feel the woods breathing all around me.  The trees and shrubs, the moss and ground cover, and the hidden animals--all of them are breathing.  Sometimes it sounds like one synchronized breath, in and out, in and out.  The slight breeze brings the scent of hidden life.

Looking out from the shade of the woods.

As soon as I step out of the woods into sunlight, the temperature rises dramatically.  The cool moisture I felt on my skin only moments earlier is gone, and I can’t hear the breathing anymore.  Now it’s a different kind of life, the kind that thrives in the sun and heat.  Now there’s a circulating and penetrating fire baking the skin.  The insects here are louder, and their sounds have a higher frequency.  The plant life is rougher, drier, and sharper.  Things seem to move quicker, and the sweet scent has all but disappeared.

Is it any wonder that I spend my time in the shade of the woods?  Back into the woods, a net of moisture immediately drops upon me.  The temperature falls dramatically.  The air is sweetly scented, and the insects hum deeper.  There is a sense of things hiding and watching, not in a malevolent way but just in a curious way.  There is time to pause and relax in the woods.  And the synchronized breath begins again.