Monday, May 4, 2015

May 4, 2015 - Four Leaf Clover


How did the old Mort Dixon and Harry Woods song go?  “I’m looking over a four leaf clover that I overlooked before” . . .  And there it was as I went for a walk along the Androscoggin River.  I wasn’t looking for a clover.  I wasn’t looking for anything at all, really, but it seemed that this clover was looking for me.  It was the very first thing I laid my eyes upon when I looked at an enormous patch of early clover.

Legend says that the first leaf stands for hope, the second for faith, the third for love, and the fourth for luck.  So in a regular clover, one already has hope, faith, and love--a winning combination and a good thing to remember.  Every patch of clover you see whispers “hope, faith, and love” to you every time you pass it by.  I don’t know if it’s fair to ask for anything more, but I won’t say no to the luck I’ve received today either.

Of course, as I looked, I found yet another four leaf clover.  What are the chances??  I have only found three other four leaf clovers in my entire life, and today I found two in one day!  Closer inspection brought a six leaf clover to my attention, an extremely rare find and something I have heard of but have never seen before.  I left immediately after that because I realized the patch was enchanted.  Another step and I probably would have ended up in a fairy ring of mushrooms, and this would have been the last entry in my journal.
 
The coveted four leaf clover.

And the extremely rare six leaf clover.