Tuesday, February 3, 2015

February 3, 2015 - My Frozen Stream


We’ve been given a reprieve from the snow, for today at least.  The sun even came out for a while but soon disappeared.  Winter does not want to let go of its grip, but no matter how much it flexes its muscles, I know it is on the way out.  We are at that crucial point in February where the sun just begins to arc a bit higher, ever so slightly mind you.  It is noticeable if you sit the same chair everyday at a certain time and watch the sun’s path.  It is noticeable if you own a non-heated greenhouse because something in the atmosphere changes inside.  It is noticeable if you own outdoor animals.  They know a change is coming.

I won’t be foolish enough to think that winter is saying goodbye just yet.  I expect more snowstorms and icy temperatures.  Winter is not nearly done showing us his amazing skills, not by a long shot.  Yet as I look at this frozen stream, I see in my mind’s eye a babbling little stream that my chickens love to visit, both for sips of cool water and to dig up worms.  I know this stream will run again because it has always run in the warmer weather.  I know my chickens will be meandering down to the stream again soon.  It’s a just a matter of time.  Like everything in life I suppose, it’s just a matter of time.

My frozen stream.