Monday, February 2, 2015

February 2, 2015 - Red-Shouldered Hawk


I had a few hours of hard labor outside in a blizzard today, but it couldn’t be helped because it had to be done.  As I was nearing the end, I got the feeling I was being watched.  I looked up in Yggdrasil and saw a red-shouldered hawk looking straight down at me.  I ran to the house to get my camera, figuring he’d be gone by the time I got back, but he was right there in the same spot.  I wish this picture were better, but with my whole body shivering, having to really zoom in, and being in a blizzard, this was the best I could do.

I know what he was doing.  He was looking for some of my squirrel friends to make a meal.  I saw him peering everywhere.  He must have been pretty hungry to stay so close to me and not fly away when I was right below him.  I think he’s going to shelter in the huge pine next to Yggdrasil.  It’s the only protection he’s going to get in this blizzard, and I’m quite sure by tomorrow we’re going to be missing a squirrel.

I hope he doesn’t take any of my favorites, those who eat from my hand, but it can’t be helped if he does.  He’s a majestic creature, and my foreign sentiments have no place in a raptor’s world.

Red-shouldered hawk, Maine.