Thursday, March 10, 2016

March 10, 2016 - Death at Sea


Once again, the ghost ship shows up on the horizon when I look at the photos I took.  It was not there when I snapped the pictures--at least I didn’t see it at all.  Apparently it was there, though.  Again.  I do not have the skill to alter a photograph.  What you see is what was there.

It makes me wonder if dying at sea is different than dying on the land.  This calls to mind a Viking ship set assail with a flaming arrow shot into it for the Hollywood romanticized “Viking funeral at sea.”  The ship goes up in roaring flames as it heads straight for the Netherworld.  But I think that’s just Hollywood.  I can’t imagine any culture being foolish enough to burn valuable ships at sea as a farewell to fallen heroes.  I could be wrong, though.  I hope I am.

In the distance, the ghost ship appears again.

But the sea has different rules than the land.  The land represents solidity.  It represents enclosure.  It represents stability and roots and growth from the ground.  That is why so many cultures bury their dead in the “womb” of the Earth in anticipation of rebirth.  While waiting for that rebirth, the land entombs the dead, holding them in one place.  But what of the sea?

There is no “one place” in the sea.  There is no placing of a body in the sea and then coming back to visit the grave.  There are no flowers planted, no headstone placed.  It is a constantly moving, undulating, rhythmic environment.  There is no burying, no cultivation of the body, no waiting for rebirth.  The Sea takes its sacrifice and almost instantly consumes and incorporates it.  The Earth takes quite a bit longer to do the same thing.

Are there ghosts that walk the Earth?  Undoubtedly so, and many people have seen them, myself included.  Not everyone can see them, though.  It takes a certain “shifting” of perception, a kind of “seeing” in a different realm.  Some people can do it at will, but most people “shift” accidentally, often through great emotion or a mind-altering experience.  Earth ghosts are tied to the land that has received them.  They exist in their altered place very much as they did when on the physical Earth.

Are there ghosts at sea?  Absolutely.  What intrigues me is that there is nothing to hold them down, to capture them, to stabilize them.  One does not have to “shift” to see them, although that’s certainly possible.  It’s not necessary, though, because the ghosts are constantly “shifting” themselves.  It’s their environment that does it, one of constant motion and fluidity.  There are no ties out at sea, no headstones, no flowers.  The tides of the sea, which occur in reaction to the sun, moon, and other celestial bodies, hold an energy that is quite capable of traversing more than just physical distance.

When I die, I wish to be “buried” at sea.  The flaming Viking ship sailing into the Netherworld would be a nice touch, and I won’t complain if I get it.  But in any event, I’ll take the fluid magic of water, with its mysterious currents that are still not completely understood even today.  I’ll take the tides of the sun, the moon, and the distant stars.  I’ll take the ubiquitous pulse of the Universe over the entombing embrace of the Earth.

And I will “shift” often.  You’ll see me on the horizon.