Saturday, October 18, 2014

October 18, 2014 - The Cathance River

I slipped into a little nook along the Cathance River to have some lunch.  I always carry a mess kit and other essentials with me because you never know where the woods will take you.  I found some good King Bolete mushrooms, made a little fire, and fried them up nice and brown.  When they were done, I tossed in a few small dandelion leaves and some sunflower seeds I had pulled out of the head of a giant sunflower.  For some reason, food seems to taste better when you eat it outside, especially if you've cooked it outside as well.  And if you eat it along the Cathance River the day after a rainstorm, all sorts of waterfalls pop up and glide by as you enjoy your lunch.

These days won't last forever.  We're sailing into winter full steam ahead.  But while they're here, I'll sit and eat and think.  This is Maine, after all, the way life should be.

A waterfall from an overflow of the Cathance River.