Friday, July 24, 2015

July 24, 2015 - Forest Guardians


In my walk through the woods today, I took a picture of a tree with a very large trunk that forked upward in two directions at a certain point.  Each of the two limbs was quite thick as well, thicker than many whole trees in the area, and each limb also forked upward.  It was the largeness and health of this tree itself that caught my attention and begged for a photo.

Or so I thought.  On further inspection at home, I see there was a lot more going on than I realized.  In the hole formed by the fork of this tree, there is a face.  We can argue that it is part of the birch tree that stands behind this large tree, but we cannot argue about the striking resemblance to a real face.  This isn’t one of those “it sort of has an eye and mouth” kind of things.  This is a face.  A real face.  This is a face that was watching me.

They're always watching.

I wasn’t consciously aware of it, but I must have known subconsciously because for some unexplainable reason I was drawn to take a photo of only part of a tree.  If this face had not been there, this would have been a very ordinary photo and certainly nothing to write home about.  But perhaps the reason is not so unexplainable after all.

They are everywhere, the guardians of the forest.  They are watching us.  I am always aware of them, but I don’t always get to see them.  Today was one of the days I did.  I am on the right track.

The actual size and view of the tree.