Thursday, March 5, 2015

March 5, 2015 - The Bones of Maine


We’ve had a bit of warmth the last couple of days, and the temperature even went as high as 35 degrees.  It sure has been a long time since I’ve felt 35 degrees.  It felt so warm and balmy that I just had to do some extra walking and breathe in all of that fresh air.

It’s amazing how quickly the snow can shrink up, even with just a day or two of warmth.  As I was out and about, I came across some of the bones of Maine that had been exposed by the warm temperatures.  It’s easy to forget about the bones, especially in the winter when you can’t see them, but there they were, popping out here and there from their snow blanket.

When the land masses all slammed together a few hundred million years ago and formed “Pangaea,” the supercontinent, the area that is now Maine was smashed and plowed by a huge land mass, pushing up all kinds of rock and creating mountains.  Then Pangaea split and continental drift occurred.  Eventually we ended up with what we have today.  Those cliffs and mountains and jagged shores of Maine are the bones of the Earth.  The bones are not as evident everywhere in the U.S., but here in Maine, they are completely exposed.

I’m used to seeing the bones everywhere I go.  I don’t really think about them until they’re no longer there due to the thick snow blanket.  Then the snow begins to melt, and it’s as if I’m seeing the bones again for the first time.  Maine is a “raw” state, and what you see is what you get.  We’ll have more snow yet before it’s all said and done for this winter, but now that I’ve seen the bones, I can confidently say that winter’s days are numbered.

The Bones of Maine.