Thursday, January 1, 2015

January 1, 2015 - New Year's Beach


I was all alone on the beach today on this very first day of the year.  No one ever wants to come in the cold, but for me that’s when the beach comes alive the most.  I get too distracted if there are too many people here.  I come for the sand and the sky and the water and the wind.

Yes, I mustn’t forget the wind.  It is always blowing at the beach--always.  But in the winter, it is severe and tricky.  It doesn’t seem so bad at first, but by the time I have gotten all the way down to the shore, it has shown its true colors.  Only a fool would venture that far without being properly dressed.  Even with outer leggings, a warm parka with a hood, a scarf, very thick gloves, and good boots, I was very cold.  Venturing to the water’s edge dressed foolishly might be the last thing someone ever did because there is the long walk back in the severe wind.  Even dressed well, my legs were completely numb by the time I got back.

But it’s a small price to pay for the silence and the beauty.  Here I can really think.  Here I can make decisions.  Here I can make plans.  Even if I don’t want to--I seem to make plans on the winter beach.  The severity of the wind and the brilliance of the sun on the water have a way of cutting to the chase.

And I did make plans.  Good ones.

New Year's beach.