Wednesday, January 28, 2015

January 28, 2015 - Divine Favor


Yesterday I said, “If we are saved, if we live through it, if we make it to the other side, we rejoice in our good fortune and clever choices and divine favor.”  And here we are at today, having made it through to the other side.  Now the sun sets on a glorious day, and if I hadn’t seen yesterday’s terrible storm with my own eyes, I wouldn’t have believed it.  If I had seen only today and not experienced yesterday, I would have said the writer was exaggerating.

Now that I am on the “other side,” shall I rejoice in my good fortune, clever choices, and divine favor?  Yes, I am happy to be alive and to have made it through the terrible storm.  But . . . divine favor?  I am not sure about that.  To the Earth, one day is no better or worse than any other day.  They are all days, and therefore, they are all perfect and exactly as they should be.  It is only people with their subjective egos who think they can decide what is awful and what is glorious, what is divine and what is hellish.

Allow me, then, my imperfections, if only for today.  Saying goodnight to the Earth and the Sun on what I choose to call a strikingly beautiful day gives me cause to celebrate my good fortune and clever choices.  My job, for another day, is to be able to see just as much beauty in the terrible, terrible storm and icy death as I see in the setting sun.  Then, perhaps, I will have deserved divine favor.

The calm after the storm.