Friday, January 16, 2015

January 16, 2015 - Giant Fireball


It had been cloudy for most of the day, as usual, and it was threatening to snow again.  Just as I rounded the bend to reach the summit of Bradbury Mountain, a giant ball of fire appeared in the sky.  It had been hiding behind a great cloud, waiting like a cat for its chance to pounce, so I did not know it was there.  I was cold and tired because it was a lot harder to scale that mountain (just a hill, really) in winter than in summer, and one mile of walking seemed like five.  I wasn’t prepared for the fireball.

I was looking down at the ground, trying to keep my footing sure because I had already fallen once.  As usual, I had forgotten my cellphone at home, so I didn’t want to get myself into something from which I couldn’t easily escape.  Suddenly, my legs felt warmer and the scenery jumped out at me, and that’s when I looked up and my eyes were literally blinded by the ball of fire.  I fumbled for my camera and only just managed to get this shot in after it showed itself.  It was even more interesting when it was only half way out of the cloud, but alas, I was not fast enough for it.

It seems the sun has some competition in this mysterious ball of fire, whatever it is, although I doubt the sun even knows anything about it since he seems to have abandoned us a couple of months ago anyhow.  Well, all is fair in love and war.  I’ve decided to become friends with the giant fireball, and to hell with the sun.

A mysterious ball of fire glows in the sky.