Saturday, January 17, 2015

January 17, 2015 - Woodland Friends


I have lots of bird friends, field sparrows in particular.  They come to visit me all the time.  Yes, I provide food, but even if I didn’t, I think they would come.  They’re not very afraid of me, and I am trying to train them to eat from my hand.  I have trained a couple of squirrels already, so why not birds as well?  I love having company.

This is one of the good things about winter.  Life slows down a lot.  The busyness of summer cannot distract me now.  The lack of natural food forces different kinds of animals to open up a bit, to trust a bit, to do things outside of their nature.  It’s quiet now, so we can hear one another’s thoughts.  The birds know I want them here, so they come.  Their chatter keeps me company, although sometimes I have to tell them to keep it down a bit.

Someone once called me a recluse.  Obviously, she did not know about the birds or the squirrels.  She did not know about the rabbits or the deer or Old Jack.  And she did not know about the Good Folk of the woods, the peapod pixies in particular.  A recluse?  Me?  My place is always busy and open to new friends.  The fact that most of my friends are not human should not come into play here.  My heart is big enough for everything.

Daily visitors to the homestead.