Wednesday, November 12, 2014

November 12, 2014 - Night Creatures


I went outside early this morning before the sun had risen, when the fog still clung heavily to the ground, and I could see things that were not there during daylight hours.  When the sun sets, he carefully picks up each one of his creatures and hides them from the night.  Then he returns them all in the morning, safe and sound, before most of us are aware that they had even been removed.  But before they are returned, there are other denizens of the woods who take their place while they are gone.  These were the creatures that were out this morning.

The message to me was clear:  You do not belong here.  The skeletons of the woods were roaming free, and their bony fingers were everywhere, reaching up high into the sky.  It occurred to me that they were strong enough now at this dark time of year to actually be looking for the sun.  Whereas they would have ran frightened during the summer months, now their boldness had grown to arrogance, and I wondered whether they would lay in ambush for the sun and destroy him this time.

They rule before the sun comes.

You do not belong here, came the voice in my mind, the voice that told me I was dealing with a very different kind of morality than what I was used to.  Here there was no seeking of balance and no honor among thieves.  Here were the inner workings of the world that lived in eternal darkness, just as did my own skeleton within my own body, never seeing the light of day.  Yet without it, there would be no me.  So the idea came to me that without the creatures of the night, there would be nothing to support the external world of light.  I thought to myself, I do belong here.

And this is what they can do to your mind in the morning before the light comes.  This is how they get inside at this time of year to remind you that they have always been there.  I sought the sun later but could not gaze directly at him because he knew I was guilty.