Thursday, November 7, 2019

November 7, 2019 - Raw November

Now those inviting waves that lapped against my ankles in the summer and gave relief from the glaring sun, turn cold and biting and cruel.  The tide comes in quickly like an advancing army, and I have to run or it will overtake me.  But instead I pause and turn to see a father and his son on horseback off in the distance, and I smile, forgetting about the waves momentarily. 

But they have not forgotten about me, and while lost in my reverie, a wave crashes over me and instantly chills me to the bone.  Now I must pay for wasting time.  Then the wind joins in and whips against my soaked pants, laughing as I tremble in the biting cold.

“Is this how you always were?” I angrily ask the ocean.  “Back when I loved you in the summer, is this how you were??”
“Most likely,” he responds.
“But you seemed kinder then and playful and full of hidden shells and treasures.”  And now I am sad for the realization before me.

“You cannot be such a cold and biting creature,” I say.  “I will not believe you are such a cold and biting creature!”
“Look again, girl,” he says.  But I back up, having belatedly regained the tiniest bit of common sense. 

November and her soldiers begin to conspire against me.  The wind whips and mocks me, singing, “Ring around the rosie, a pocket full of posies!  Ashes, ashes, we all fall down!” 

And I wonder why I would have been so foolish to have come so far down the shore on my own.  The sun darts behind the blackened clouds, which he had promised to vanquish.  What a liar.  He was always such a liar.  I look for the travelers on horseback, but they have already disappeared, having quite the advantage of speed.

It is two miles back at least, and the day ends very early now.  I start walking.  Shivering.  I would follow my own footsteps back, but the ocean has already eaten them.  He has always had a monstrous appetite.  Now I must remember which outcrop of beach grass I came out from when I first arrived.  They all look the same, though.  My legs are cold, but I do not see many choices before me, so I will keep walking.  I ignore the ocean when he asks me if I want to come for a swim, but he knows that I hear him.

“Just a quick swim,” the ocean teases, and I am not sure if it is gulls hovering overhead or vultures.  And in the great scheme of things, I do not think it matters much anyhow.

“Just a quick swim,” the wind laughs as it whips the salty ocean spray into my hair.  The gulls are circling now, following their own hidden currents of desire.

Just a quick swim, I think to myself.  A final swim.  It is just too easy, though, far too easy.  And I shan’t have things be that easy.

The court assembles.  Kings and Knights everywhere you look, and I am the only pawn.  The wind grows stronger, and I keep walking.  I am on my own with raw November.