Friday, November 22, 2019

November 22, 2019 - Shattered Souls

It occurs to me that a great many people are walking around wounded today, more than I have ever seen before.  So many, in fact, that I am inclined to believe something foul is afoot.  I am not talking about uncomplicated wounds—broken bones and cuts, bruises and contusions, colds and fevers, simple terminal illnesses—no, not them.  Those are the easy wounds.  Even the ones that kill the body are simple in comparison.  No, I am talking about people walking around with their souls in filthy and shattered pieces.

There’s the man who waits in line at the coffee shop and rocks back and forth on his feet ever so slightly as he stands at attention with a faraway and haunted look in his eyes.  He squeezes his fist over the dollar bills in his hand and his breathing is shallow.  The muscle in his jaw tightens and releases as he grinds his teeth together and releases them, remembering for a moment where he is until he forgets again and his face goes pale and the grinding continues.  He is not sick, but he is dying just the same.  Every day he dies a little more.

I see the pieces of his soul all around him.  They lay on the dirty floor of the coffee shop, and people walk all over them as if they are nothing at all, as if they are garbage….  Nothing but God incarnate lying in the gutter as the empty people laugh and walk by.  And I want to walk up to him so badly!  I want to walk up and say, “Excuse me, sir!  Is this your soul lying on the ground in pieces?  Please, let me help you pick it up.”  Please….so that I might be able to forget about my own soul, just for a moment.

But I do not say it to him.  I cannot.  If I did, he would run away in fear at having been discovered to be human.  Then his soul would be left on the filthy floor, and the filthy people would kick it back and forth like an old can on the street.  He would have to return later in the dark of the night and pick the sooty pieces up and pretend they were beautiful and that he loved them.  “How beautiful you are, my love!” said King Solomon.  “My beloved is to me like a cluster of henna blossoms.”  Or a soul in pieces on the floor of a coffee shop.

And anyway, you cannot touch the raw elements of another person’s soul without their permission.  The penalty is too great.  He who goes into that light comes not forth again.  It is death to touch the mysteries unprepared.  So I leave his soul on the floor, and I try to walk around it.  But the nagging thought stays:  If I help, I could redeem myself, make myself worthy again.

We all know it isn’t just him, though.  They are everywhere.  Maybe you are one of them?  One of the people with a splintered soul?  There was a time when souls were regularly examined and cared for and healed and loved and put in a special place befitting their station.  We all knew it.  We all did it.  And when we found the occasional broken soul, we rallied together and fixed it as best as we could.  Not anymore.  Something somewhere has broken.

Maine’s November ghosts haunt me deeply now as the days turn grey and cold.  The mirror on the pond beckons.  “Mirror, mirror on the wall.  Who is the fairest of them all?”  I don’t dare look.  I might see my own soul in pieces as well, and I don’t want an answer because then I would have to act on it.  Maybe the mirror would tell me to go back and find the man in the coffee shop with the broken soul.  Or the woman in the supermarket.  Or the nurse at the doctor’s office….  All of them bleeding sanguine soul light onto the unswept floors.

The November Witch laughs, but still there is hope.  She does not know Who comes at the solstice, and I can wait.  I can carry my own pieces until then.  It is not too great a burden to bear.  And while I cannot pick up the pieces of my fellow man’s soul, I can still offer him a simple smile.  A smile that fills.  And let me tell you if you do not already know (but I am certain you do), you never know just how empty and bereft your soul is until it is filled by someone else.

Something has happened in this world, and it’s high time we undo it.  If you have gotten this far in this article, you know what I am talking about.  Put down the electronic devices, just for a few minutes.  Examine your soul.  Allow your fellow man to experience his pain in silent comfort instead of an agonizing and macabre display crushed into the ground by your own boots.  Give him a hand.  Smile.  Please.  We don’t have to keep doing this dark thing.  We can return.