Wednesday, March 4, 2020

March 4, 2020 - Time for March

The first of the temporary streams begins to flow in the woods.  Winter is not over yet, so they will freeze up again, but for now, they flow.  Some will last throughout the year, drying up only in July and August, then returning like errant ghosts to the scene of a crime.  And there are other ghosts as well . . . the woods are always thick with them, but especially now when the Season of Death tries frantically to establish a permanent foothold in life.

The banshees (bean sídhe) come now in greater numbers.  You have heard their wailing in the winter months?  And you thought it was just the wind whipping around the corners of the house and stealing down the chimney?  You thought it was the wailing sigh of the winter storm?  That is what you are told as a child so you will not be afraid, and that is what you carry with you as an adult so you do not have to confront them.  It is just as well because it is not an easy task.

But they are there, down by the streams in the woods, wailing at their work and plight.  Matted red hair flies in the wind as they wash the soiled and torn garments in the streams.  Like Lady Macbeth they cry, “What?  Will these hands ne’er be clean??”  She rubs her hands together over and over, but she fails to wash away the guilt that surrounds her, threatening to devour her completely.  So, too, with the banshees as they wash their dirty laundry, wailing at the unfairness of life, crying at the futility of it all.

There is a red-haired boy among them, wailing at the stream’s edge.  He washes a blackened pot over and over in the stream, pouring out the dirty water, crying at the uselessness of his actions.  They let me walk among them sometimes, so I ask him why he washes the pot.  He does not answer, but he looks at me with enormous reddened eyes and points a bony finger into the pot.  I look within and I see nothing, but I do not always have the banshee sight.  It comes and goes.  He keeps pointing within and then shrieks terribly and accusingly at me, and so grievous it is that I back up quickly in fear.

He returns to his washing.  He must wash the pot that carries a dark secret, but each time he pours the water back into the stream, it is blackened further.  Will this pot never be clean?  Perhaps if he were to go upstream and travel back in time, he could find how the pot had been ruined in the first place.  That is not his privilege, although he fantasizes he might do so.  Still, he is strong.  He will continue to wash the pot.  Someday the bottom will wear away completely, and the fresh water will finally pour through.  But today is not that day.

I continue on.  The banshees do not want me among them for very long, if at all, and the feeling is mutual.  The animals leave their muddy prints everywhere in the receding snow.  They know the banshees, too, but they stay in the Land of the Living.  This is because they are smarter than we are and always have been.  There are too many tracks for me to follow.  It will be a good year for hunting.  It is good to see the signs of life again.  Not life itself, of course.  That has a habit of eluding me, but the signs of life are there, and that is certainly better than the wailing bean sídhe.

February has left me, after gashing its usual hole in my soul.  Still, I am standing.  I am stronger than February knew, and March regards me with a wary eye.  And well he ought to.  I remember again that I am a match for anything, so I pick up my pack and place it back on my shoulders.  I cannot remember why I had removed it in the first place.  Perhaps it was temporary insanity.  It must have been winter’s darkness playing with my mind.  Again.  No matter.  The road is long, but I do not care.  Come for me, March, in like a lion and out like a lamb.  Kindness is a misfortune I can bear.