Tuesday, March 31, 2020

March 31, 2020 - Broken Mirror, Broken Link

It was very early when I went out.  I knew no one else would be there because no one ever is.  Most people are asleep, and even in their dreams, they wouldn’t dare to think.  I waited by an old decaying tree stump, one that was only half in this world, if that.  It was perfect.  There I sat leaning against it, feeling the wood crumbling against my back.  Presently, my eyes grew heavy.

“Of course, you know that nothing he tells you is true, right?”

He had arrived on time.  He was always on time because, like me, he was very precise.  He was a man interested in formulas and organization and Divine Law.

“I know.”
“But you’re going anyway, aren’t you?” he asked.
“Yes.”
“You could come with me,” he said bitterly.
“I know, and someday I will, but there is still work for me to do.”
“Work?”
“Yes.  The people are lost.”
“The people are always lost!”  Now he was angry, but I am used to that.

It’s a funny thing.  The game masters try to plan for everything, but somehow there’s always a weak link in the system, a spot that has been overlooked.  They never thought the mirror would crack.  Every time the people had looked into the mirror and inquired, “Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all,” the mirror had always responded, “You are.”  Then it would pull them in further and fill their minds with fear, terrorizing them in their stupor.  Fear of illness, fear of death, fear of life, fear of others . . . constant fear paralyzing them.  But now the mirror had unexpectedly cracked.

Of course, most people would remain oblivious:  Sweet mirror, pretty mirror, pet the mirror, kiss the mirror.  Whisper to the mirror, “I love you.”  And the cracked mirror whispers back, “You are, you are, you are,” like a broken record.  Over and over, a broken response.  A weak link in the system, a glitch in the programming.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled program . . .

But there are some who have awoken from a deep and drugged slumber.  They are shaking their heads and rubbing their eyes, confused at the cracked black mirror before them.  They wonder to themselves, how long have I been here?  Nothing looks familiar.  They put the mirror down.  They are looking beyond it now, and like the woman in the house in our previous story, they balk at the crumbling foundation of their existence.

Hollywood is dead.  The tinsel is all rusted.  Its clowns have lost their makeup and shown their ugly faces.  But still their broken record repeats, Step right up to the greatest show on Earth, folks!  And the moths fly to the flame because that is their nature, to burn.  They fight in line for their chance to burn.  Who is the fairest one of all?

“So you would throw all of my gifts away?” he asked, bitter again.
“Not throw away.  Just delay.”
“Pah!” he spat.
“The sun grows stronger,” I said, “It’s time to try again.”   His eyes were murderous.  We had agreed never to speak of the Sun King, but some things cannot be helped.

“The people need him now more than ever,” I said.
“Go and help then,” he said with stone cold eyes, “But remember our agreement.  I will see you back here when your Sun King fails and the world turns to ice again.”
“I will be here when the Shadow of Death returns,” I said simply.

I stood up and left.  I did not turn around, but I could feel his eyes boring a hole through me as I walked.  The season of light returns with a new shadowy player, courtesy of the game masters.

The mirror has been cracked.  The secrets have poured out into broad daylight, into the sunshine.  The foundations of our homes, of our nations have crumbled but are not yet in complete ruin.  We can pick up the plow, the hoe, the seed, and the scythe, and we can start again.  That’s the thing about living outside of the black mirror with its shiny distracting lights and dark poison, we can always start again because hope truly does spring eternal.

Now we say goodbye to March and warily welcome in a most uncertain April.  Revolution is afoot.  There is always a weak spot in the force field.