Sunday, February 9, 2020

February 9, 2020 - February Storm

Then came a storm, as storms are wont to do.  They wait for you to think they are gone, to think that you are safe, to think that warmer and softer times are here.  They wait for you to let your guard down.  They wait for an opportunity to slip inside.  Behind each corner they peer, sniffing the air, looking for a sign of weakness.  And when you are at your weakest, when your attention is placed elsewhere, the storm unleashes its wrath.  This is Holy Fury!  This is February.  This is the time that tries our souls.

The storm came after the sweetness of the January thaw.  When we had all smiled and raised a glass together, the storm crept in, waiting for its chance.  In the dark of the night, He came riding in on a horse still darker, with all the fury of the Underworld at His command.  With hands as hard as steel and eyes as cold as ice, He laid the countryside to waste.  He destroyed everything in His path.

It is not unlike the storms that steal into our minds, those we endure silently, those we think no one else knows anything about.  For who would admit to it?  Who would admit that as they sit in a silent and darkened room, the storm creeps upon them?  Though you try to protect your mind and your heart, though you try to pull a shawl closer about you for warmth, He creeps inside.  Then the dark cloud descends upon you, and all semblance of happiness and decency and love seem to leave you.  The storm takes hold.  The gut-wrenching sorrow.  The darkness that comes upon us all from time to time.  And he whispers, “You are nothing….you are nothing…..I am your destroyer….I consume you….” 

And you run from the room screaming with your hands tightly covering your ears.  No more!  I will not listen!  Please, God, no more….take this storm….make it go away….  Somehow you find yourself on your knees, and how long have you been there?  How long have you knelt in abject disgrace?  It’s hard to tell.  But this is the storm.  This is what it does.  This is the February of our lives, and no one escapes it.  No one.  Do not purport to tell me that you have slipped through the cracks.  You have not.

Then the morning finally comes, as it somehow always does.  It always does.  The sun shines brilliantly upon the field.  I look fearfully outdoors, wondering if I am really still alive.  And lo!  I am met with stunning brilliance!  The world is covered in ice that shimmers like a million diamonds!  Every tree, every bush, every rock is covered in ice that shines like the sun itself.  How can this be?  I ask myself, how can beauty ever exist again after such darkness?  How is it possible?  I reach out and He places an icy diamond on my finger.  I am the Bride of the Underworld.

Yet I cannot help but feel betrayed.  I ask the storm, why did you push me to the limit and beyond?  Why did you destroy my world?  Why did you annihilate all semblance of goodness and calmness and decency?  Why?  Why do it?  What is the purpose?  What are you gaining?  And he responds, “Foolish girl.  There is nothing under this sun—nothing!—that does not exist without express permission.  There is nothing that is apart from the whole.  There is nothing outside of me.  I am the razor-sharp ice that cuts like a sword.  I am the brilliant sunshine.  I am the murderous darkness.  I am everywhere.  I am everything.”