Friday, February 21, 2020

February 21, 2020 - The Door

There’s an old woman who lives not too far from me.  She is very old.  I am not young, and even by my standards, she is very old.  I have only seen her once.  It was last spring when she was cleaning up some old leaves from her garden.  I stopped my car suddenly because in all these years, I had never seen her before.  I have seen her presence, but I have never seen her in the flesh.  Instinctively, even though her back was turned, she knew I was watching her.  She turned and looked at me with the strangest look I have ever seen, and then she went back to her work.  That was the first time I ever saw her.  It was the last time, too, I’m quite certain of it.

But her presence is everywhere.  You won’t know it from this winter photo, but she has the most hodge-podge, mismatched, labyrinth of a garden I have ever seen.  Yes, I have sneaked up in the twilight hours and investigated.  In the season of life, it grows over immensely.  There are secret passageways everywhere and odd little ornaments peeking out from the strangest of places.  There are things that don’t belong in gardens at all, but somehow they are right at home in her garden.  There are odd lights, too.  Not of the solar variety that is common, but of the will-o’-the-wisp variety, the kind that twinkles and shimmers here and there, beckoning the unsuspecting traveler, tricking the lonely wanderer, enchanting the solitary lover.

There is this feeling, this strange feeling that if you were to enter her garden, it might be hard to find your way out again.  Yet you feel compelled, called as it were.  To compound it all, a few years ago she added an old wooden door with the number 58 on it.  That is not her house number, just the number of the door leaning against the crooked tree.  As the seasons and holidays come and go, she adds and takes away silly decorations from the door.  It’s as if she thinks the door is inside her house and not propped up against a frozen tree outside.  No, she’s not crazy.  Well, no crazier than me.  And yes, I know how that sounds.

But, you see, there’s a problem, and that would be me.  I have this almost uncontrollable urge to walk up to the door, open it, and go right through.  “But you’ll hit the tree head on!” you say.  No, I don’t think I will.  It all depends on what you expect to find on the other side and what you expect out of the door itself.

Because doors have a meaning!  They are entries and exits.  They keep things in and they keep things out.  They close things off.  They partition and hide things.  They act as transitions from one place to another.  And just because you yank them out of their traditional spots and place them haphazardly elsewhere does not mean that their inherent function changes.  If I took a teacup out of my cupboard and placed it on a ski lift, it would still be a teacup and would function as a delivery device for hot tea, as always.

“For heaven’s sake!  It’s just a decoration!” you say.  The hell it is.  It’s a door, and by its inherent nature that means I am on one side of it only.  You can’t be on both sides of a door at the same time.  It’s one or the other, and I have a sneaking suspicion I’m on the tedious side.

The ancients had special gods for doorways that were called liminal deities.  These gods ruled over boundaries, doors, and thresholds.  Yes, these things were considered so important that they had their own deities.  The ancients knew that when you crossed from one side to another side, something magical occurred.  There is the crossing from life to death (and back again), the crossing from one season to another, and the start of a new path that lies on the other side of the door. 

The door is the dividing factor from one world to another.  This is why traditionally a groom would carry his bride across the threshold.  He took her from one life and brought her into another.  Her feet were not to touch the threshold or the spell would be broken.  He changed her and transformed her by carrying her across, and then she in turn built a new home and transformed him.  Crossing the threshold of an open door represents the beginning of a new choice, a new life, a new idea.

The old woman knows what she’s doing by placing it there.  She’s issuing a challenge.  We country folk are an odd sort, I’ll grant you that, but we know a provocation when we see one.  We know when we’re being tested.  I’m not the only one who stares at the door, either.  I have seen others doing it as well.  Some of them looked quite vexed.  Cowards.  Someday I’m going to walk right up to that old woman’s door, open it up, and walk straight through.  I highly doubt I’ll be back on this side of it again when I do.  It’s a prearranged agreement with the god who sits upon the threshold and bides his time.  That’s the one thing gods have an overabundance of:  Time.  The rest of us have to keep on walking through the endless doorways.