Saturday, October 5, 2019

October 5, 2019 - Gold

They’re giving out gold in the woods like there’s no tomorrow.  That’s the word on the street—as much gold as you can carry!  It’s all there and it’s all free.  You just have to go and gather it.  Of course, I had to check it out for myself, and lo and behold, there was gold as far as the eye could see.

There were the golden ferns, those ancient of plants, teeming with brilliance now throughout the woodland floor.  Laughter could be heard as the ferns posed for a photo grinning from ear to ear.  What once was curly light green fiddleheads thrusting upward from the Earth in the Spring, then became lush deep green and graceful fronds fanning the undergrowth in the Summer, and then finally became the keepers of the forest’s gold in the Fall.

There were trees hidden here and there, displaying magnificent leaves of solid gold in the dappled sunlight that somehow found its way into the forest.  They were dripping with wealth, the remaining birds all singing in their boughs and getting ready to fly south following after those that had already done so.

There were the secret magic mushrooms sprouting from old dead tree stumps, giving form to death once again as they hover between the two worlds—neither plant nor animal.  There were the large and golden toadstools springing forth from the bases of more dead trees.  Death everywhere you looked, with golden life oozing out of it.

I went with the intention of gathering as much gold as possible.  Then I would be rich!  Then I would be prosperous!  But when I pulled out my sack to fill it up, the squirrels all pointed and laughed at me.

“Why are you laughing?” I asked.  “Can’t you see all around you the golden wealth?”
“Indeed, foolish human, we do see,” they said.
“Why are you not gathering it yourself?”
“We already have!”
“So your nests,” I ventured, “are lined with gold?”
“Oh, indeed,” they said, but they looked down their noses as they spoke.

Did they not realize how important gold is in this world?  Did they not know the value of the precious metal?  And as if they could read my mind, one of them responded to my unasked questions.

“Can you eat gold?” he asked.
“Well, no, but I can buy food with gold, and I can certainly eat the food I buy,” I said.
“What if there is no food to buy?  What will you eat?  Can you eat the gold?”
“No, but . . .”
“And water,” he said, “what if there is no water to be found or to buy?  Then what will you do?”
“That’s not going to happen . . .” I said, but really, I didn’t know that for sure.

“My nest is full of acorns and sweet nuts,” he said.  “It is full of dried fruits and berries and sweet grass.  There is a little stream nearby that runs from the Fall rains, and in the Winter the snow provides sweet-tasting water.  I’ve lined my home with fragrant, bright-colored leaves, and I’ve stuffed myself all Summer, adding all the fat I will need for a lean Winter, when I like to sleep most of the time anyway after a Summer of work.  What do humans do with their gold?”

“Well, we put it in a bank for safekeeping.  We buy some of the things you mentioned, things of comfort and warmth and sustenance, but we put most of it away—that is, if we have any of it left over after we buy what we need,” I said.

“Why would you buy something that is already here?” he asked.  “Food is everywhere.”  And, of course, that is true, although most people don’t realize it.
“Well….” I said, not feeling very confident at all anymore, “We work for gold to buy the food.  I guess we could just grow and gather the food, but we don’t usually do that—and there are laws that try to discourage people from doing so.  We work for the gold and then buy the food and other things with it.”

“Who do you buy your food and other things from?” he asked.
“Well, we buy it from merchants who have gotten it from other people who have worked very hard to get it.  In return for their work, they get some gold, too, but not very much because the merchants keep most of the gold for themselves.”
“Can the people who work hard eat the gold?”
“No,” I said, “They have to buy food and other things as well.”

He looked at me for a long time, considering what I had said.  Many times it seemed as though he would say something, but then he just set his head from right to left and considered again.  He considered and he considered.  Finally, he spoke.

“I am very wealthy, although I have never had this ‘gold’ of which you speak,” he said.  “I have food and a warm home.  I have children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  I have birds for music and a sweet stream for water.  I eat and sleep in comfort, and yes, I do work for what I have.  It takes work to gather all of my food and belongings, although I have a very long season to just eat and rest afterward.  It doesn’t make much sense to me to turn around and give away your wealth just for gold as humans seem to do.”

I didn’t have the heart to tell him it’s not even gold anymore that we strive for.  It’s just paper money that supposedly represents gold, or at least it used to, but really now it’s just old wood pulp.  If I had told him that, he would have laughed and spit on me, and rightly so.

I put my sack away.  I didn’t gather the forest’s gold.  I decided to leave it where it was, shining and beautiful on the forest floor where all the animals laughed as they finished their winter preparations.  Sometimes it is enough just to see the golden light of the comfortable forest creatures, and today was one of those days.

I went back to my home and had a small dinner.  I have often thought about the riddle of gold and what constitutes true wealth, because gold and wealth are two very different things.  Sometimes we get caught up in the hype of the world as it presses in on all of us, hypnotizing us with shiny baubles and endless numbers.  We count them and count them, and they lead us nowhere.  I try to remember to not let the merchants fool me.  Some days I do better than others.

In a small cupboard in the back room of my old house, there is a collection of acorns.  I gather them one by one here and there as I walk.  If an acorn looks especially handsome, I’ll pick it up and bring it home and put it with the others in the cupboard.  Each acorn reminds me of a special walk and a happy feeling.  But I decided today maybe they shouldn’t be in the cupboard anymore, so I put them in a bowl and placed them in the living room as a reminder.  The cat will guard them from the field mice who try to sneak in at night.  All is well in my house, and though I haven’t got any gold to speak of, I am very wealthy, indeed.