Thursday, September 12, 2019

September 12, 2019 - The Problem With the Mountain

When I get to the top of the mountain, I always take a break.  That’s my reward.  I set my pack down in the shade of a tree that grows through a crack in the rock.  The mountain stone is hard, but that’s okay because I am used to it.  Soon I find the right spot, and I lay down gently, easing my spine one vertebra after another.  In a short while, the stone does not seem so hard anymore.  The leaves overhead block out most of the blaring sun, and the wind that is constantly blowing up here feels cool and welcome.  I feel sleepy.

But soon I have to move again.  The stone is too hard on my back.  There must be a better spot just a fraction of an inch over, I think to myself, so I move.  And then I move again.  It is a dance I engage in frequently with the mountain, but today he is having none of it.

“Why don’t you go away, stupid human!” the mountain says.  (Don’t worry.  I am used to his gruffness.)
“I will eventually, but I am tired now and I need a rest,” I tell him.
“I am tired, too, but resting is the last thing I want!”
“That is because you are so strong,” I offer, hoping to appease his moodiness, but as I said, today he is having none of it.

“Strong?  Pah!” he says, but I fancy he secretly likes it when I say that.  I have told him this before, you see, and he always snorts appreciatively.  You have to know how to deal with these mountains, after all.

“I am feeling generous today.  Let me tell you a secret, so listen closely or you will miss it, as usual.  You see, stone is not powerful at all.  Your flesh is more powerful,” he said.  Now it was my turn to snort.

“Pah!” I said, trying very hard to sound as gruff and grating as he always does.

“No, it’s quite true, I assure you.”

“How so?” I asked.  “You have been here for thousands of years before me, and you will be here thousands of years after me.  You can withstand tremendous force, tremendous storms, tremendous calamities.  You are impervious to the sun and the wind, to the rain and the snow and the ice.  From where I sit, you are the very definition of strength.”

“That is because you are stupid, I already told you that part.  You see, you and the rest of the animals have the one thing I do not have, and that is the ability to move, the ability to act.  It is true that your lifespan is minuscule compared to my existence, but because you have mobility, you have life.  You can create more humans.  You can plan things and carry those plans out.  You can join with others in an army of human will.  You can do anything that you are capable of imagining,” he said.

“But you have strength!” I protested.  “I would give anything to have one smidgeon of your strength.  You endure, so you must be patient.  You are steadfast, so you must be loyal.  You are changeless, so you must be faithful.  You are beautiful, so you must be awe-inspiring.  These are not bad traits.”

“But they are not chosen traits, either,” he said.  “I endure because I cannot leave.  I am steadfast because I cannot move.  I am changeless because I am lifeless.  But beautiful?  Yes, I am beautiful.  Each day, though, tiny portions of me blow away into the wind like grains of sand, and one day I will be no more.  It is true that you will be long gone by then, but there will be more of ‘you’ around.  There will be no more of me.  When I am gone, I am gone.  And all that I may have stood for will be gone.  But all that you have stood for will still be here because you will have passed it on.  I cannot do that.”

I hadn’t thought of it that way.  For all my imperfections, for all my mistakes and foolishness, for all my aches and pains and obviously human limitations, I was strong in the eyes of the mountain.  My flesh, which seemed so weak a minute ago, felt supple and sure.  I could get up and go anywhere I wanted.  I could do anything I wanted.  I could set the wheels in motion for things to occur long after I was gone.  I could move mountains.

“I have to leave now,” I said, “but I’ll be back next week.”
“I wish you wouldn’t come back,” he said.
“But you know I will.”
“Yes, I know you will.”
“We could be friends,” I offered.
“I am stone, and stone is strength, not love.”
“You’ll get used to me.  You’ll see.  I’ll be here.”
“So will I,” he said sadly.